FEMA offers several grant programs to implement hazard mitigation projects at the local level. These funds can be used for a variety of projects that will assist in lessening and/or preventing the effects of future hazards. Examples of projects may include, but are not limited to, retrofitting existing buildings to withstand potential hazards, flood barriers, generator connections for critical facilities, and warning systems. Federal mitigation funds may be available to finance up to 75 percent of the total project costs with the remaining 25 percent requiring non-federal funds.
A prerequisite for all eligible applicants is that they must have a Federal Emergency Management Agency approved hazard mitigation plan prior to receipt of any federal mitigation funds.
Municipalities that do not have approved hazard mitigation plans have two options. One, municipalities may sign on to an existing regional or county hazard mitigation plan. Two, local jurisdictions may develop their own hazard mitigation plans. Regardless of method, SCEMD encourages any municipality that does not currently have a hazard mitigation plan to contact the State Hazard Mitigation Officer to discuss which option would best suit their needs in becoming eligible for federal mitigation funds.
Melissa Potter, State Hazard Mitigation Officer, may be contacted at: 803.737.8856 or via email: email@example.com, subject: FEMA Mitigation Grants.