The Municipal Association began its Trades Certification program in 1965 and currently offers exams in
- electrical (based on NEC 2014 as of August 2, 2015)
- plumbing (based on the International Plumbing Code 2015)
- heating and air (based on the IMC 2015)
- gas fitting (based on the International Fuel Gas Code 2015)
- sheet metal (based on the IMC 2015)
- pipefitting (based on the IMC 2015)
This certification should not be confused with the South Carolina Mechanical Contractors License or the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission's Specialty Contractors License.
A tradesman interested in either of the above licenses should contact the appropriate agency as follows:
PROV Exams is now offering remote testing via
their Examroom service.
Examroom is a remote test
monitoring service that allows you to take your test on your own computer at
your home. You schedule the test the same way you would an in-person testing
site; by selecting your preferred test date and time. Then, on test day, you
log into the Examroom website and request to start your exam. A test proctor
will greet you over your computer, will verify your identity, take your
picture, and observe you throughout the testing process.
How to decide whether to use
Examroom? Not every
computer system is capable of taking a test on Examroom. The following are the minimum requirements
that your computer system would need to meet in order to qualify to take your
test using the Examroom service:
- Operating system on computer needs to be recent (less than 3-4 years old)
- Works on a MAC, PC, or Chromebook
- Need either a Chrome or Firefox browser (Chrome works best)
- Need a functioning computer web-camera and microphone
- Need a good consistent Internet
connection capable of uploading files in excess of 3 Mbps
Please use the following links
to do a system check before you schedule your exam to make sure your
computer system will allow you to take a test using this system.
When prompted “Permission to access camera and microphone”,
you must click “Allow”.