The interruption of in-person meetings in 2020 as a pandemic precaution has not stopped online training opportunities from the Municipal Association.
The Municipal Elected Officials Institute of Government, for example, replaced in-person sessions for the fall with online courses in October, but it has also maintained a variety of online, on-demand training sessions. The on-demand courses address such topics as budgeting and municipal finance, forms of municipal government, the SC Freedom of Information Act, municipal economic development as well as municipal governance and policy.
In the spring, the Association launched the "Online Orientation Training for Planning and Zoning Officials." That six-hour course, available to elected officials as well as relevant staff at no charge, covers a state training requirement for all officials working in that area.
In the fall, Risk Management Services began to host online training sessions. It launched "Workers' Compensation Nuts and Bolts" for members of the SC Municipal Insurance Trust and SC Municipal Insurance and Risk Financing Fund. This fall, it will host several virtual trainings for SCMIT and SCMIRF members:
- November 10 – RMS Annual Members Meeting, featuring prerecorded content. No registration will be needed.
- December 9 – Public Works/Utilities Risk Management Online Training. No registration will be needed.
Many of the Municipal Association's affiliate associations are also creating online versions of their scheduled annual meetings and quarterly meetings. These are still coming up for November and December:
- November 5 — the SC Association of Stormwater Managers will host its Fourth Quarter Meeting virtually.
- November 12 to 13 – The SC Municipal Human Resources Association hosts its Annual Meeting. Topics will include preventing abuse of employee policies, workplace diversity and accessibility as well as the new W-4 form.
- December 4 – SC Municipal Attorneys Association Annual Meeting and Continuing Legal Education Seminar.
Find the latest information on virtual meetings and sessions at www.masc.sc (keyword: training calendar).