Senior Planner, Spartanburg County
Position Category: Planning, GIS
Position hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Interprets and administers zoning, sign, land development regulations. Reviews site plans, landscape plans, and subdivision plats for compliance with local ordinances and state regulations. Handles day-to-day tasks associated with taking subdivisions and land development projects through the review and approval process, including ensuring compliance with administrative policies and procedures; writing staff reports, preparing variances; preparing materials for planning commission and board of appeals packets and presentations, and using project tracking software.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the county's land development/zoning-related ordinances, as well as the Comprehensive Plan. Monitors the effectiveness of zoning and land development regulations and other ordinances along with related administrative processes. Proposes amendments to ordinances and procedures as needed. Supports other divisions of the department, as needed.
- Researches planning/land use-related issues, gathers and analyzes data, compiles information, and prepares reports, including maps and graphics. Confidently presents such work to Planning Commission, Land Management Board of Appeals, Technical Review Committee, County Council, County Administration, and the general public. Assists in the development of RFP/RFQs, as needed, for consultant assistance on a number of planning issues.
- Bachelor's degree with major course work in urban planning and considerable experience in review of subdivisions/land development projects is required. Master's degree in Urban Planning or a related field and AICP certification preferred. The position may require supervision of subordinate staff. The successful candidate will be a versatile planner with strong interpersonal skills and the technical ability to support and enhance the overall efforts of the Planning and Development Department work program.
- The position requires knowledge in the practices and principals of Urban Planning, as well as current trends, regulations, standards and laws related to zoning and land development; experience with land development review and technical review committees; experience with zoning, sign regulations, and land use regulations; excellent analytical and communication skills; proficient knowledge of ArcMap; strong working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases, including ability to research and aggregate data from many sources.
- Demonstrated ability to present information clearly, effectively and in a timely manner in written, map and graphic formats.
Pay info: Starting salary is $48,409 - $64,046, based on experience
How to apply: Apply at www.spartanburgcounty.org.