Development Manager, Spartanburg County
Position Category: Planning, GIS
Position hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Oversees daily tasks of staff involved in zoning and development application intake, review of subdivision plats, development plans, and other site plans, issuance of zoning and sign permits, and participates in said activities as workload or project type requires. Understands, interprets, and administers regulations. Recognizes and resolves issues with plats and site plans, as necessary, with legal staff, Register of Deeds, Assessor's Office, etc. Oversees coordination of plan approvals from other agencies.
- Researches planning/land use-related issues, gathers and analyzes data, compiles information, and prepares reports, including maps and graphics. Presents such work, as necessary, to the Planning Staff, Planning Commission, Land Management Board of Appeals and others. Visits sites, as necessary, for the purposes of inspection for compliance with land development regulations, as well as following up on resident complaints regarding violations of said regulations. Supervises assigned staff, including but not limited to, managing day-to-day activities, training and development.
- Monitors the effectiveness of zoning and land development regulations and other ordinances along with related policies and procedures. Proposes amendments to ordinances and procedures, as needed. Prepares for and presides over the Technical Advisory Committee on a regular basis. Receives questions/complaints from public regarding land use/zoning issues; works with Environmental Enforcement Department on citations for same; maintains files and records pertaining to enforcement program; prepares evidence and testifies in court, if necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in urban planning, landscape architecture, or related field is required with considerable experience in zoning and land development. Master's degree and membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners preferred. Experience with ArcGIS, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint, spreadsheets, and EnerGov is preferred. The position will require supervision of subordinate staff.
- The successful candidate will be a versatile planner/manager with strong interpersonal skills and the technical ability to support and enhance the overall efforts of the Development Division's work program.
- The position requires knowledge in the practices and principals of Urban Planning, as well as current trends, regulations, standards and laws related to zoning and land development; experience with land development review and technical review committees; experience with zoning, sign regulations, and land use regulations; excellent communication and presentation skills; strong writing skills; strong working knowledge of ArcMap, spreadsheets and databases.
Pay info: Starting salary is $54,219 - $68,316, based on experience
How to apply: Apply online at www.spartanburgcounty.org.