Position hours: 24-hour rotating shifts, 24 hours on and 48 hours off
- Engages in providing efficient and immediate advanced life support care to the critically ill or injured at the scene of the incident until the patient is transferred to the care of EMS or hospital personnel
- Engages in fire suppression and rescue, fire prevention, community service and training activities
- Engages in equipment operation and maintenance, and fire station maintenance
- High school diploma or GED; must possess a valid SC driver's license within 90 days of employment; must pass a criminal background check, a pre-employment drug screen, a written general aptitude test, and a physical ability test
- Must have, or be able to obtain, specialized training covering interior firefighting up to National Fire Protection Agency Firefighter II, incident command, hazardous materials operations, auto extrication, and swift water rescue, or a certification accepted by the SC Fire Academy and or the fire chief as an equivalent for these certifications
- Must have National Registry Paramedic Certification, State of South Carolina Paramedic Certification, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Basic Life Support.
Pay info: Starting salary $50,000 for candidates with less than 2 ½ years paramedic experience; starting salary $53,000 for candidates with more than 2 ½ years paramedic experience, with excellent benefits package including paid holidays and participation in SC Police Officers Retirement System, SC Deferred Compensation Plan, and the State Health Plan with the employee's health and basic dental insurance premiums paid by the city
How to apply: Employment application is available online at www.westcolumbiasc.gov/employment or obtained in person at the Customer Service Counter in the West Columbia City Hall located at 200 N. 12th Street, West Columbia, SC 29169. Completed, signed applications (resume optional) may be mailed to the attention of Marquis Solomon, Deputy Chief, PO Box 4044, West Columbia, SC 29171-4044, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: submitted application must have an inked signature.
Deadline: Open until filled
The City of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.