The SC Municipal Insurance Trust is a self-funded program which means that members share the responsibility for normal claims expenses on a pooled basis.
- Catastrophic accidents/occurrences (more than $500,000) are reinsured.
- SCMIT provides full loss control and risk management services to its members through its own staff. These services include: training, inspections and technical assistance as needed by the members.
- SCMIT offers professional claims administration handled by highly qualified claims adjusters with dedicated adjusters for lost-time cases.
- SCMIT provides timely and clear monthly reports on the status of all claims and a summary of losses for all years the member has been in the program.
- SCMIT's interest earned on members' contributions is used to help keep costs down.
- SCMIT provides workers' compensation coverage for all members. Credits are available for members willing to assume a deductible from $1,000 to $500,000.
- SCMIT provides a clear and understandable billing process allowing all members to pay on a quarterly basis.
- All surplus funds, after paying claims and administrative costs, remain with the members to help reduce costs, enhance coverage or expand benefits.