Each year, the SC Municipal Insurance Trust sponsors an Occupational Safety Contest for its members. During the Municipal Association’s Hometown, SC Legislative Action Day in February, SCMIT recognized 12 local government entities for their safety efforts.
The competition is based on OSHA Form 300 and loss-ratio data. All winners received engraved plaques for their accomplishment and monetary credit (reimbursement) toward the purchase of safety equipment and/or safety training: first place - $2000, second place - $1000, and third place - $500.
The Laurens Commission of Public Works and the City of Aiken tied for first place for the annual Safety Idea Contest. The winners will each receive a check for $500. Of note, this is the second consecutive win for the Laurens Commission of Public Works having won in 2009 for coordination on permit-required confined space entries with the City of Laurens Fire Department.
Division I (10 to 50 employees)
- First Place – Town of Hemingway
- First Place – Town of Hampton (pictured)
- Third Place – Town of Pageland
Division II (51 - 100 employees)
- First Place – City of Pickens
- Second Place – City of Kingstree
- Third Place – City of Chester
Division III (151 or more employees)
- First Place – City of North Augusta
- Second Place – City of Aiken
- Third Place – City of Georgetown
Division 1V (public utilities)
- First Place – Gaffney Board of Public Works
- Second Place – Laurens Commission of Public Works (pictured)
- Third Place – Greenwood Commission of Public Works