The Municipal Association began its Trades Certification program in 1965 and currently offers exams in
- electrical (based on NEC 2011 as of June 1, 2012)
- plumbing (based on the International Plumbing Code 2012)
- heating and air (based on the IMC 2012)
- gas fitting (based on the International Fuel Gas Code 2009)
- sheet metal (based on the IMC 2012)
- pipefitting (based on the IMC 2012)
Prometric, a national testing firm, gives the certification exams 28 times a year in six different locations around the state.
This certification should not be confused with the South Carolina Mechanical Contractors License or the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission’s Specialty Contractors License.
A tradesman interested in either of the above licenses should contact the appropriate agency as follows: