The Municipal Association of SC is seeking a highly qualified executive director to serve as its chief executive officer. The Association is recognized for its innovative approaches to organizational management and delivery of services to members.
The Association is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization representing and serving the state's 270 incorporated municipalities. The Association is dedicated to the principle of its founding members: to offer the services, programs and products that will give municipal officials the knowledge, experience and tools for enabling the most efficient and effective operation of their municipalities in the complex world of municipal government.
The Association, founded in 1930, represents the interests of its member cities and towns at the state and federal levels. The Association's multiple lines of business require an executive director who can ably lead a multifaceted organization requiring high level skills in motivation, leadership, finance, entrepreneurship and advocacy. The Association provides education and training, technical assistance and municipal administrative services to elected officials and municipal employees. The Association also sponsors two self-insured trusts and an other post-employment benefit trust for member municipalities.
The executive director is appointed by and reports to an 18-member board of directors.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- establishes long-range goals for the Association in coordination with the board of directors,
- assures successful delivery of all Association programs from education and technical assistance to insurance and municipal administrative services,
- identifies and implements new programs that benefit cities and towns based on emerging trends and needs of member-cities,
- serves as a spokesperson for the Association in municipal, state and national arenas and advocate for changes in state and federal law to address city challenges,
- oversees the complex financial and accounting operations of the Association including total budgets of $40.5 million,
- oversees innovative technology initiatives that support Association operations and city services,
- hires and develops the Association's 55-person staff, and
- manages the Association's five-story, 60,000 square-foot office building including leasing.
The successful candidate will have a proven ability to work collaboratively with municipal and state officials as well as Association staff and partner organizations. The candidate will also be an effective communicator and have a proven track record of innovative approaches to delivering services as well as have the ability to analyze and respond appropriately to diverse and complex issues. Previous experience developing and overseeing implementation of major technology initiatives is desirable.
A minimum of ten years of executive level leadership experience in government, association or corporate senior-level management is required. Master's degree in public administration or a closely related field or a law degree is preferred.
For more information, see the full executive director position description. To apply, send letter of interest, resume and salary history via email to Summer Randall at email@example.com. Review of applications begins August 7, 2017. Competitive salary and excellent benefit package including South Carolina state retirement.
The Municipal Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Part-time Senior Claims Adjuster
The Municipal Association of South Carolina is accepting resumes for the position of Senior Claims Adjuster for the property and liability insurance program and the workers' compensation insurance program. This position is primarily responsible for adjudicating property and liability and workers' compensation subrogation claims in accordance with all applicable state laws and regulations. Occasional in-state travel may be required. This is a part-time position that will work an average of 20 hours per week. Other than S.C. State Retirement, this position is not eligible for benefits. Competitive salary based on qualifications.
Qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration, risk management or a closely related field is required
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and a valid S.C. Claims Adjuster license
- Seven years of experience as a multiline adjuster is preferred
- Advanced knowledge of the insurance industry, claims, and the insurance legal and regulatory environment is required
- Demonstrated above average interpersonal, organizational and customer service skills, as well as written and verbal communication
- Proven ability to investigate and negotiate fair and equitable claims settlements
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills are required
- Proficient in maintaining complex electronic files and records in an online document management system
- Strong awareness of and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Public sector knowledge/experience is preferred
Email resume and cover letter to Summer Randall at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Human Resources, PO Box 12109, Columbia, SC 29211. Position will remain open until filled. The Municipal Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.