Position Category: Misc.
Position hours: Full-time position, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and possible on-call hours during hazardous conditions
- Enforces regulations for building systems using prescriptive- and performance-related provisions; performs field inspections of residential and commercial buildings; conducts periodic field inspections before and during construction; enforces codes and regulations; maintains a variety of files and records related to areas of assignments; works independently under limited supervision; and reports major activities through periodic meetings
- Conducts routine field inspections on residential and commercial buildings during various stages of construction or code compliance using state adopted and permissive codes
- Enforces codes and regulations; reviews, researches and communicates results in determining applicable codes and ordinance compliance; communicates and explains inspections and construction requirements that include methods and materials to owners, architects, engineers, contractors and residents; investigates and resolves building complaints; reads and interprets plans, specifications and related construction documents; provides technical assistance on difficult or unusual construction methods and materials; and performs related work as required
- High school diploma or GED equivalent supplemented by specialized courses/training equivalent to completion of one year of college in construction management, engineering or related field with 10 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Valid SC driver's license; licensed by the state of South Carolina to perform combination inspections; and International Code Council certifications including commercial building certification, commercial electrical certification, commercial mechanical certification, commercial plumbing and gas certification and commercial plans examiner certification
- Any additional certifications that may be required must be obtained within the required time period established by the city and must maintain all continuing educational requirements pertaining to the state and International Code Council
Pay info: $46,001 – $69,002 annually
How to apply: For a complete job description and to apply online, visit www.northcharleston.org
Deadline: February 22
The City of North Charleston recruits, hires and promotes for all job classifications without regard to age, gender, race, disability, genetic information, color, religion, veteran's status, national origin, sexual orientation, political opinions, or on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including but not limited to lactation.