- Engages in providing efficient and immediate advanced life support care to the critically ill or injured at the scene of the incident until the patient is transferred to the care of emergency medical services or hospital personnel
- Engages directly in fire suppression rescue, fire prevention, community service and training activities
- Engages in equipment operation and maintenance and fire station maintenance
- High school diploma or GED; three years of experience as a firefighter and paramedic; any combination of education and experience totaling three years is acceptable; must possess a valid SC driver's license within 90 days of employment; and must pass a criminal background check, a pre-employment drug screen, a written general aptitude test and a physical ability test
- Must have specialized training covering interior firefighting up to National Fire Protection Agency firefighter II, national registry paramedic certification, state of South Carolina paramedic certification, advanced cardiovascular life support, pediatric advanced life support, basic life support, incident command, hazardous materials operations, auto extrication, and swift water rescue; or certifications accepted by the SC Fire Academy and or the fire chief as an equivalent for these certifications
- If applicant has paramedic certification but no firefighter certification, a firefighter/paramedic trainee position is available with the city providing the opportunity to attend the SC Fire Academy and promotion to firefighter/paramedic after academy graduation
Pay info: $44,876.01 annually or higher, depending on qualifications, with excellent benefits package including paid holidays and participation in state retirement system, SC deferred compensation plan and state health plan with employee's health and basic dental insurance premiums paid by the city
How to apply: Applications are available at www.westcolumbiasc.gov/employment and at the customer service counter at West Columbia City Hall, 200 N. 12th St., West Columbia, SC 29169. Submit completed and signed application (resume optional) by mail to Marquis Solomon, Deputy Fire Chief, PO Box 4044, West Columbia, SC 29171-4044, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitted application must have an inked signature.
Deadline: Open until filled
The City of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The city does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.