The Municipal Association is seeking a well-qualified and results-oriented candidate to fill the position of General Counsel. This position works closely with the executive director, directors and various department heads to ensure the Association remains in legal and regulatory compliance with state and federal laws and regulations in all of its dealings. In addition, the general counsel responds to inquiries from city attorneys and member cities, provides legal advice to Association staff and board, and reviews and prepares legal documents and proposed legislation. This position reports to the executive director.
- Protects the Association's legal interests by providing sound legal advice and counsel to the Association's executive director, department heads and board; works with employees at all levels within the organization to identify and resolve legal concerns and to facilitate process changes to prevent future occurrences
- Responds to legal inquiries and provides technical assistance to the Association's staff and board; provides legal support to field services and other staff giving technical assistance to member organizations; and provides limited technical assistance directly to member city attorneys and city managers upon request
- Monitors and analyzes state and federal court cases and legal precedents to evaluate for impact on the Association and municipal government; provides legal guidance regarding municipal issues, and participates in the development of strategy in legal matters with broader implications for municipalities; and responsible for the negotiation, drafting or review of all contracts for the Association
- Graduate from an accredited law school with strong academic record and in good standing with the South Carolina Bar; if not a member of the South Carolina Bar, willingness and eligibility to join South Carolina Bar upon hire
- Requires seven or more years of experience as a practicing attorney within either a private law firm, public or private corporation, or non-profit setting; experience in a government, member association, or nonprofit setting is preferable, with significant experience and comfort with contract review, drafting and negotiation; experience in public finance and navigating relationships between nonprofit entities and public bodies is also strongly preferred; possess strong analytical, communication skills and a proven ability to develop timely and accurate solutions and recommendations
Pay info: Competitive salary based on qualifications with excellent benefits package, including SC state retirement and health insurance
How to apply: Email resume and cover letter to Summer Randall at email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled. For more information about the Municipal Association of South Carolina, visit www.masc.sc.
The Municipal Association of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.