Police Chief, City of Conway
Position Category: Police
The City of Conway is seeking an experienced professional with a demonstrated record of professional law enforcement experience, community policing and resource management for the position of police chief.
- Performs complex professional and administrative work directing all activities of the police department and does related work as required, performs under the general supervision of the city administrator and supervises is all police department personnel
- Plans, directs and evaluates the operation of the police department; hires, promotes, assigns and disciplines police personnel; formulates and implements police policies, procedures, rules, regulations and programs; develops annual budget proposals and controls budgeted expenses; assumes command of police force in emergencies; makes periodic public addresses concerning police operations and law enforcement; meets with news media for interviews; issues press releases; and attends meetings and serves on committees, boards and agencies related to promoting crime prevention and improving law enforcement
- Evaluates and implements federal and state law mandates; advises and assists subordinates with complex police investigations; provides adequate training and development of department personnel; ensures compliance of state training requirements; testifies in civil and criminal court as necessary; ensures proper maintenance of department vehicles and equipment; analyzes and recommends improvements to equipment and facilities as needed; receives, reviews and responds to public inquiries, complaints and requests for assistance; remains on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for emergency response; and performs other related task as required
- Associate degree required, a bachelor's degree is preferred with major course work in law enforcement, public administration or related field
- Extensive administrative experience of a wide and progressively responsible nature in police service and requires a minimum of five years in a managerial role within an accredited police department
- Must possess a S.C. driver's license and maintain police officer and firearms certifications, and city residency will be required of the successful candidate
Pay info: $74,395.00 annually
How to apply: For a detailed job description and to download an application, visit www.cityofconway.com. Submit completed application to Lynn S. Smith, Human Resources Director, PO Box 1075, Conway SC 29528.
Deadline: Open until filled
The City of Conway is a drug-free and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.